- Holly started IGDC Instameet Community after being intimidated by the social media community when she first discovered it.
- Fifteen people showed up at the first meeting, and some are still active in the community!
- She used Instagram as a way to connect with other photographers and to reconnect with DC.
- The IGDC hashtag took off. Now the Instagram account has over 65,000 followers.
- The account doesn’t take advertising dollars and isn’t there to make money. Holly makes sure every collaboration is beneficial to the community.
- “We all get so stuck in our routines, and it’s good to have some motivation to get out and explore. And so, we just try to do that with our cameras”.
- If you’re looking to foster community, stick with it. You aren’t going to have a lot of followers in the beginning. Get out there. Reiterate that you’re there. Be open to everybody and be persistent.
- If you’re building a community, you want it to reflect that rather than one person.
- In order to foster community, you have to step out of your comfort zone.
Connect with Holly Garner